Saturday, October 22, 2005

 

Music in Wales

What can one say about music in Wales? It occurred to me recently that one can say almost anything. I have to confess that I don't think Wales has particularly distinguished itself in music -- even though it is supposed to be 'The Land of Song'. When I was at college the only Welsh band of any repute were The Alarm and I thought they were truly terrible.

That was the 1980s, but I was never really convinced by the so-called Welsh revival of the 1990s. I can't say I found anything inspiring or radical or even enjoyable in the Manic Street Preachers, The Stereophonics, Super Furry Animals or Catatonia.

The only decent band Wales has ever produced is Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. I have been listening to them a lot recently and I am appropriately enthralled.

No other urgent observations present themselves to me at this moment in time. The uneaten watermelon in my fridge has started to go off.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]