Wednesday, July 25, 2007

 

The Excitement is Mountain...

I have just left the Valle de Sensaciones and now plan to head north. I said goodbye to everyone and walked out with a tear in my eye (or was it sweat?) for the dusty walk to Cádiar, but halfway there I managed to hitch a lift and so my feet were somewhat saved. Hitching in the Alpujarras is remarkably easy. Tonight I intend to begin walking higher into the mountains, first to Bérchules and then to Trevélez, the highest village in Spain. It should be cooler up there. I'll probably sleep under trees, if there are any available. It never seems to rain here so sleeping outside is much more pleasant than back in Wales...

Far away from cities, the quality of the light after sunset is quite different from what I'm used to. A few days ago the community went for tapas in one of Yator's tiny bars. Walking back we passed a small group of people conducting some sort of religious ritual by the side of the road. The mountains shone very strangely in the light of the half moon. Everything looked unreal to me, whereas in fact it was more real: I was seeing the landscape in a more natural way. It affected me strongly, I'm not sure why. I can't explain it very well.

Although I love it here, I'm looking forward to walking over the Sierra Nevada to Granada. My feet are itchy and not just because of the mosquito bites!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]